Welcome to the Awarua communications museum website
The Awarua Communications Museum is situated on the original site of The Awarua Marine Radio halfway between Invercargill and Bluff on SH1. The aim is to tell the story of Awarua Radio, to detail the history of telecommunications in Southland and to preserve and restore material associated with Awarua Radio.
Awarua Radio was New Zealand's main receiving and transmitting station providing worldwide morse communications with ships at sea. It was operational from December 1913 until 1992. The museum is a work in progress.
A replica of a Victorian theatre is currently being created and there is one small display room. The next stage of the museum development includes an education centre.
The Awarua area itself is gaining an international reputation once again as an area suitable for communications technology, with the Unwin radar already on the site and The European Space Agency-commissioned Awarua tracking station, which opened in 2008, also in the Awarua area.